‘t Veerhuis has a long tradition and name in the hospitality field. In the year 900, the first ferry house was situated at almost this exact location. In 1500 it was moved to its present location. Through the centuries’ t Veerhuis has served as an inn, pub, hotel and restaurant.
In 1952 the building was rebuilt on the cellars from 1500 after it was destroyed in the Second World War. Then in 1996, a section was added; the conservatory with hotel rooms, a suite and an apartment. Merie Flikweert has been the owner since 2018.
In addition to this rich history, the location of ‘t Veerhuis in Wamel is notable. We are the only hotel restaurant in the Netherlands on the summer dyke with a large and sunny terrace in the meadows. Here you have a beautiful view of the Waal; the busiest river in Europe and on the skyline of Tiel.
- Our location in a rural area, just outside the town of Wamel.
- Privacy and tranquility because there are no immediate neighbors.
- The city of Tiel can be reached on foot and by bicycle in 5 minutes.
- The ideal starting point for a few days away in your own country. Cities such as Arnhem, Nijmegen, Zaltbommel and ‘s-Hertogenbosch are within 30 minutes drive.
- Great starting point for short cycling holidays in the Land of Maas and Waal or the Betuwe.
- The starting point for wonderful solo hikes in the floodplain or with a guide.
- We are easily accessible thanks to the short distance to the A15 motorway.
- Close to attractions such as Ouwehand Zoo, Grebbeberg, The island of Maurik, Gardens of Appeltern, Glass Museum Wipe out, Slot Loevestein, Ammersoyen Castle and recreation areas De Gouden Ham and De Meent.